1.15.2012

Unlimited Groceries

Hi friends!  I've found myself falling way off track with my goals this past week, and just last night I figured out why.  Last week I was approved for food stamps.  Not only does this free up a whole chunk of income that I can put toward other things, but it means I can go to the grocery store and buy literally whatever I want.  If you've been following my blog for some time, you probably know that my absolute most favorite thing when it comes to food is being able to go to the store and buy whatever my hungry little heart desires.  I think it comes from never having any good food in the house as a kid and always living paycheck to paycheck (or food stamps to food stamps, as it were).  So, of course, I've been going to the store every other day and picking up whatever looks good.  And while this makes me insanely happy, it's been ruining my diet.  I no longer have to decide whether I should spend money on carrots or ice cream because I don't have to make that choice anymore.  I can get both.  And so, that's what I've been doing.

In the last week I've bought maybe two bags of vegetables.  Instead of healthy food, I bought coffee cake, salted caramel truffle ice cream, a frozen hawaiian pizza, FIVE kinds of cheese (no joke - shredded cheddar, a block of organic sharp cheddar, crumbled gorgonzola, Mexican queso fresco, and sliced horseradish cheddar for sandwiches), bagels and cream cheese, falafel mix, oh my god the list goes on.  Accordingly, since I have no extra real money, I've been eating all this terrible food for the past week.  And we all know, when you eat like crap, you feel like crap, which means I haven't been doing any kind of exercise at all.

As the new week starts up, I'm trying to focus on getting back to the healthy food I know and love and not going crazy at the store.  Just because I can buy it doesn't mean I should buy it, and I need to remember that. Whatever's in the house is what I have to eat, so I need to make sure I don't keep a lot of cheese and sweets and fats around.  Also, I need to get moving again.  It's hard when it's cold out and I just want to snuggle in my bed, but I have a whole exercise room at my disposal.  I need to stop using it as a clothes hamper and use it for what I set it aside for: getting healthy.

I'll check in with you kids next week - have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, glad you'll have something to help you out! Everyone needs a little help here and there sometimes :)
    Erin, formerly Glam,Glitz&Gut, now erinsdoingit.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear what you have to say!